Mission Statement: People, Planet, Peace over Profit!
The Global Climate Convergence for People, Planet and Peace over Profit is an education and direct action campaign beginning with “10 days to change course,” running from Earth Day to May Day 2014. It provides coordinated action and collaboration across fronts of struggle and national borders to harness the transformative power we already possess as a thousand separate movements. These grassroots justice movements are sweeping the globe, rising up against the global assault on our shared economy, ecology, peace and democracy. The accelerating climate disaster, which threatens to unravel civilization as soon as 2050, intensifies all of these struggles and creates new urgency for collaboration and unified action. Earth Day to May Day 2014 (April 22 – May 1) will be the first in a series of expanding annual actions.
The Convergence creates a unifying call for a solution as big as the crisis barreling down on us – an emergency Green Economic Transformation through a Global Green New Deal including universal jobs, health care, education, food and housing security, economic and political democracy, demilitarization, an end to deportations, and 100% clean renewable energy by 2030. Clearly the time for action is NOW.
Sign up here to begin organizing for the continuum of justice from Earth Day to May Day in your community.
Media Coverage of the GCC
- Monthly Review: Notes from the Editor (November 2014)
- Global Justice Ecology Project: Indigenous Organizers Lead Climate Critiques in NYC (September 29, 2014)
- International Viewpoint: “The largest climate protest in American history” – Climate Convergence Moves Us Forward, but Challenges Us to Create a Strategy (September 30, 2014)
- CounterSpin: Anne Petermann on the Climate March (September 26, 2014)
- Waging Nonviolence: After the People’s Climate March, It Is Time to Demand More (September 29, 2014)
- The Villager: Confessions of a reluctant climate-change marcher (September 25, 2014)
- Socialist Worker: Against the climate march cynics (September 25, 2014)
- RI Future: NY Climate Convergence conference attacks roots of climate struggle (September 21, 2014)